Friday, May 11, 2007

Let's cause a stir!

So, I was goofing off at work, and googled my name, just for fun...
www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1575845/posts

It's a repost of The Ithacan's article on National Condom Week, for which I was interviewed about ICFeminists' observances of the week. That's cool. But it's reposted on a republican site, and the comments that follow get pretty crude. First off, they insult all feminists as ugly man-haters with no need for condoms, keep referring to Ithaca as "The City of Evil," call IC women sluts, make assumptions about the intelligence and attitudes of ICF members, and then they get personal. They dug up an old picture of me, looked me up on the college directory, found a current picture, insult my body, my intelligence, and my assumed lack of kissing abilities (yeah, really). Then a poster calls the entire board cute, and suggests we'd be fun to invite out for lunch.

I think Dana said it best -
"Well, on the positive side, we must have done something right to be causing such a stir. If we made conservatives mad, then we were probably succeeding at sharing actual, worthwhile information that they'd like to deny. Yikes! . . . The amount of close-minded people out there never ceases to amaze me . . . ICF rocks. That's all there is."

She's right, of course. Basically, all I can do is laugh. I'm not going to change any of those peoples' minds about me or my beliefs through a republican chat thread, so I'll wear it as a badge of honor. I'll put it on my resume, and we'll add it to our war stories. Because that's all you can do when faced with something this ridiculous and small-minded. So thanks, Free Republic "freepers," for the reminder that I'm capable of causing a stir.

No comments: