Friday, July 18, 2008

Roger and the Window

Now that I live safely on the second floor, I invested in a window fan to help keep my place tolerable during the hot weather. I put it in the bedroom window and use it at night - it really does the trick!

Roger stays at home in my room while I'm at work. He's very well-behaved, never chews up my shoes or barks out of boredom. But I guess he finds ways to entertain himself.

One morning several weeks ago, I was at work and our downstairs neighbor Marla called me. I almost didn't even answer, I assumed it was house stuff that could wait. The call went something like this:

"Oh hi Marla, yep I'm at work. Yeah, heh, busy as usual. What's up? He's crying and barking? Hmm, that's unusual--hanging OUT OF THE WINDOW?!? - YES OF COURSE, I'M ON MY WAY!" (insert running noises here)

I immediately ran the two blocks home, expecting to see my little dog somehow stuck halfway out the window - or flying through the air in a daredevil leap. Marla was in her robe in her driveway looking up at my window as I neared, and there was Roger, proudly standing on the window sill, smiling at us.

I bolted up the stairs and into my room. He was so happy to see me! I was just trying to get my heart to stop pounding. He had somehow managed to knock the fan out of the window back onto my bed, push the window sash all the way up, and knock the screen out onto the ground below!

Needless to say, I now remove the fan every morning and lock the window before leaving for work.

No comments: